Getting to Know You (In a Manner of Speaking)

Are you familiar with the adage, "If you want to know someone, walk a mile in her (or his) shoes"? Of course you are! I will not bore you with the metaphorical meaning behind that aphorism. I have had several conversations with friends about shoes, so I thought I would share some of those observations as well as mine. Lace 'em up people.

Doc Marten's - A standard. The epitome of function over form (while in my opinion form does not lack) you cannot go wrong with a pair of Docs in your closet. Although some people find the price tag a bit offensive since a pair can go for more than $100, they are well worth the investment. I own six pairs: two pair black (one pair steel toe), two pair brown (also one pair steel toe), steel toe boots, and a pair of flip-flops. The non-steel toe black shoes I own are 14 years old and in excellent condition (bought in 1994 for $110).


Birkenstocks - If you own a pair of Docs, then you most likely own a pair of Birks. Wonderfully comfortable yet unappealing to look at, Birkenstocks automatically labels the wearer as a college educated vegetarian liberal (or so the stereotype dictates). These are perfect summertime shoes if you cannot stomach wearing flip-flops. Unless you are a tenured college professor (as I aspire to be) you should not wear them with socks. Writing this reminds me I need to send mine in to be re-corked.

Crocs - The dreaded Man-Clogs as a dear friend of mine calls them. Just as comfortable as Birkenstocks and vegan friendly (since most of them are made from 100% synthetic materials), these shoes have experienced a surge of popularity, despite the fact that the President wears them with black ankle socks (adorned with the Presidential seal no less). I own three pairs, including a pair that is winter friendly. Due to their popularity, many people devote time and bandwidth to espouse their hatred for these ubiquitous shoes (see ihatecrocs.com to witness the effects of these shoes on two people with an unlimited supply of Croc-flavored Hater-Ade). On a side note about the people who run the aforementioned website, I challenge Kate and Vincenzo to successfully argue why Crocs are such awful shoes. Simply saying how visually unappealing they are will not suffice. Vincenzo, as a writer, I am sure you can come up with an argument that will make Wayne Booth and Kenneth Burke proud.

Flip-flops - The classic summer shoes that have been around forever. Everyone makes them, just don't buy them from Wal-Mart unless you want burns on your feet (the email going around is not a hoax). I have no problem with flip-flops since they are casual shoes until people, young women usually, wear them when the situation does not call for them. I remember reading an article regarding the 2005 Northwestern University women's lacrosse team that won the NCAA championship for their sport. They won an audience at the White House to honor their achievement and half of the team wore flip-flops in the White House. Apologists have suggested that the shoes were tastefully worn and all that, but going to the White House dictates more formal dress. I cannot go to the White House wearing no jacket, no tie, nor can I go wearing shorts. If it's hot (this reception was in August if memory serves) please find a pair of dressy sandals with a sensible heel. Keep the flip-flops in the hotel room and wear them around the pool. They are not nicknamed "shower shoes" for nothing.

Uggs - The aptly named ugly ass boots marketed towards young women, although I have seen forty-somethings sporting them with their college-aged daughters. I remember moon boots when they hit their vogue in the late 1970s and I cannot fathom what makes them so appealing for many women today. I understand that the company that makes them has other tastefully styled footwear, but the popularity of the originally styled clunky boot makes me long for warmer weather. I can see how my personal opinions about these shoes may label me a hypocrite (see Crocs above). Here is the difference though; I can voice my opinion about such matters without needing to rally people to believe as I do. That takes too much time, effort, and money.

Chuck Taylors - Another classic shoe, although I could never get away with wearing them since they tend to make people's feet look longer than they actually are. I wear a size 13 so I don't need help. This does not dampen my attraction for those who can wear them well. Nothing says "cool" louder to me. Even my three year old nephew has a pair of black Chuck Taylor All Stars.

Feel free to add to this list or to comment on my selections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigars, Bananas, and Short, Blunt Swords

Hamster Wheel of the Day