The Folly of Inaction

A friend of mine posted a blog on her MySpace page, voicing her displeasure about Senator Obama's vice presidential pick of Joe Biden, the senior senator from Delaware. This is what she had to say:


Hillary,

Thank you for doing your best and showing exactly how far a woman could get. Your courage and tenacity has inspired me and I hope future generations of woman. I supported you til the end. I know some will say I only supported you because you were a woman, (of course those are the people who ultimately allowed for your downfall) But I supported you because you were the best candidate for the positon[sic] and I know I don't stand alone in that voicing that sentiment. I know it must puzzle you to think that so many out there ultimatly[sic] feared you and your stengths[sic] and convictions and therfore[sic] could'nt[sic] bring themselves to support you. I'm sure it is made worse when those "many" turn out to be women. I wish you the best of luck and know that because you care so much about our country you will not simply slip away into the background of the politico game. After all it is just a game and for the first time ever I will be sitting this round out come November. I know you may not agree with that but I cannot bring myself to support someone who does not illicit the same passion in me as you did. It would be like ordering a lobster and getting steak. Don't get me wrong I don't nessesacrly[sic] dislike steak, but I've been waiting for lobster and my heart just can't get on board with the steak. To Mr. Obama I'm sure you will not miss my vote good luck to you. I hope you prove me wrong. And to the standard safe old white guy you have chosen as your running mate I say congrats.


I have commented on her blog (she chose not to post it). Suffice it to say I take umbrage with her choice not to participate in voting this November simply because her first choice of candidate did not make it out of the Democratic Primary. She argues she had her heart set on lobster but was offered steak instead. While she freely admits she does not dislike steak, she would prefer to go hungry. That is utter nonsense. If you are hungry, why would you choose not to eat if your very first choice is no longer available?

I also commented on her blog post that by not participating, she is effectively spitting in the face of every woman who has fought for the right to vote. She is also countermanding the achievements of Hillary Clinton. I say this because there are many people who feel the same way as my friend does. Because they are choosing not to participate because their first choice is no longer available, they make it that much easier for Obama's opponent, Senator John McCain, to win this November (a candidate who actively espouses policy positions contrary to both Senators Obama and Clinton).

I will say this: if you want lobster and are offered steak, take the damn steak. Otherwise, do not complain when you have nothing to eat except rotten garbage for at least four years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigars, Bananas, and Short, Blunt Swords

Hamster Wheel of the Day