PETA Perpetually Proposes Profoundly Peculiar Practices

I read with fascination the attempt by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) to appeal to the makers of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, a company that already adheres to environmentally sound practices in the production of their dessert treats. (Phish Food is my personal favorite.). There are so many questions that this notion raises. For example:

1) How would Ben & Jerry make ice cream made from breast milk economically viable? How much milk would they have to collect from willing nursing mothers to make batches of "Mother's Milk Vanilla" for example?

2) Knowing full well I cannot nurse, I still wonder how some women will react, if asked by PETA, that they should produce the milk for Ben & Jerry's Mother's Milk Vanilla.

3) If PETA does find a group of willing participants (personally repugnant to me), how will Ben & Jerry, under PETA's watchful eye, maintain the quality and taste of the breast milk? I am under the impression the taste and quality of breast milk varies from woman to woman based on several lifestyle factors: diet, exercise, and so forth.

This notion of PETA falls squarely in line with many of their proposals over the years, some more agreeable than others. I have no issue with their campaign of actors and models proclaiming they would rather go naked than wear fur. I also admire their spirit behind their efforts to highlight the horrors of factory farming in order to keep up with the demand of dairy, meat, eggs, and poultry, especially in the fast food industry (KFC is a perfect example). Their suggestion that Ben & Jerry's use breast milk to make ice cream falls in the same category as PETA's "Got Beer?" advertising campaign targeted to college students.

Their methods of proposing ridiculous practices in my opinion diminishes the wholly valid arguments they have against how our society produces food from animals. I have friends who are vegetarians and vegans and they have explained to me the horrors of animals led to slaughter. I've seen my grandmother kill chickens on her farm as a small child and I've seen the inside of an abattoir while at college. Seeing these things have not deterred me from eating meat, nor have they made me believe that people should fight against evolution (people have binocular vision like all creatures that have meat in their diet) or against the Agricultural Revolution (which vaulted civilization from nomadic hunter-gatherer status). I am more than happy to debate, argue, and talk about these issues with vegans and vegetarians; hopefully they can learn from me as I learn from them. By suggesting that ice cream manufacturers use human breast milk or that groups of people prone to potentially lethal binge drinking should drink beer instead of milk fails the laugh test at best (but will turn most people off, disgusted).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cigars, Bananas, and Short, Blunt Swords

Hamster Wheel of the Day