How Un-American...

Some people love to espouse the notion that spreading freedom is one of our American ideals, or that there are people in the world that "hate us for our freedom". What really irks me is that some of those people who most likely believe in that aspect of our culture (especially the latter sentiment voiced by George W. Bush) more than likely voted to make gay marriage illegal in several states including, most notably, California. What I don't understand is how people who actively believe that we should have freedom to do what we choose as long it does not hurt anyone else in the process deny a group of people the freedom to enjoy what everyone else can do (and abuses it on many occasions)?

Keith Olbermann of MSNBC expresses how I feel about this asinine rationale much more eloquently than I can.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I saw that video too -- and I read somewhere else that in Cali it was mostly Mexican Catholics who voted that way. I have no idea how they know that, but...not exactly the bible-thumping southern white people you necessarily picture as someone who would vote against it.

Popular posts from this blog

Cigars, Bananas, and Short, Blunt Swords

Hamster Wheel of the Day