My Beef with Proselytes

The pun comes from an experience I had recently in Los Angeles. I decided, based on a glowing report I saw on Sixty Minutes, to have dinner at a local In & Out Burger in Culver City (very tasty burgers by the way; I recommend the Double Double). While I waited for my food, since it was quite crowded, a woman with two children approached me and asked, "Excuse me, are you an evangelical?"

I replied, "No, I don't practice."

She then proceeded to explain why she approached me. She said that I resembled someone she met on a train trip, perhaps to a retreat of some sort, and thought that she would at least say hello. She continued to ask why I don't practice and if I've accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. Without waiting for a response, she continued on a thread suggesting that if I have not, then when it's time for me to be judged, I will be judged based on the Ten Commandments.

She then proceeded to ask if I've:
Ever lied,
Lusted after anyone (even if it's a photograph),
Ever hated anyone,
Ever stolen anything (even something as small as a paper clip or pen).

(The answer is yes to all and I thought, "Hasn't most people?")

If I have done all of those things then I am going straight to hell. At this, I asked her, "Excuse me, but do you proselytize a lot?"

This caused her to pause then answer, "When the spirit moves me to."

I then explained to her her actions demonstrate a part of the reason why I no longer practice religion as some people believe I should practice it (I was raised as a Baptist). A major reason why I don't practice religion, any religion, is that religion is simply a set of rules in order for people to express their spirituality, something that is personal and unique to every individual.

I don't tell the woman this because she seemed sincerely convinced her way was the correct way, which is something I don't necessarily agree with; attempting to do so would waste valuable time and my order came up during her second offer to join her in a sixty second prayer, ensuring my salvation (in her mind).

I did leave feeling satisfied that I did not bear false witness by joining her in prayer, thereby satisfying her need. I have enough respect for other people's faith to not engage in such an insincere act.

Comments

Slyfox said…
"I did leave feeling satisfied that I did not bear false witness by joining her in prayer, thereby satisfying her need. I have enough respect for other people's faith to not engage in such an insincere act."

AMEN ! hehehe

Popular posts from this blog

Cigars, Bananas, and Short, Blunt Swords

Hamster Wheel of the Day