April Fool's Day and Humor

I don't consider myself a practical joker, but I do enjoy a good prank when the situation warrants. For me, April 1st provides enough cover for me to do something grand for a couple of reasons. First, people whose sensibilities would be offended at other times would take offense at the prank. Secondly, it's a holiday I don't mind getting into the spirit of since it costs virtually nothing to celebrate.

In order to play a believable prank, especially on April Fool's Day, there has to be an element of plausibility in the prankster's ruse. I decided to use my recent excursion on Jeopardy! to supply the ethos for my prank. Since most everyone I know, directly and indirectly, congratulated me on my Jeopardy! experience, I needed a vehicle to produce the biggest impact possible. I decided to use the popular networking website Facebook to my advantage by making this pronouncement, "Shawn St.Clair received a call asking him to audition for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" hosted by Meredith Viera", knowing that some of the people in my networking circle would respond positively. Needless to say I was not disappointed.

When I returned home, I found several people responded with well wishes and greetings of good luck. The last person to respond to my phony announcement asked, "And your response was...?", to which I replied, "April Fool."

When I revealed my prank, the feedback was, to say the least, mixed. Some applauded my efforts while others vented their good-natured spleens at me for tricking them. They have good senses of humor and will probably return the favor. My sense of humor is developed enough to take a jab here and there since I am more than willing to dish it out.

Case in point, I received this recently from a friend of mine acknowledging my efforts on Jeopardy!:
FrontBack

I want to thank "Prinicpal" for the tee shirt; it gave me a laugh and a good amount of luck so far.

Comments

Bryan said…
Fantastic shirt.

As for the April Fool's prank, it makes me wonder if they would actually tape that show on April Fool's day, since I could imagine the contestant calling someone and the friend thinking it was a joke.

Popular posts from this blog

Cigars, Bananas, and Short, Blunt Swords

Hamster Wheel of the Day